The Northern California Administrative Fellowship is a 12-18 month program focused on health care operations with two 6-month rotations at different medical centers.
The Northern California Administrative Fellowship is a 12-18 month program focused on health care operations, with two 6-month rotations at different medical centers. There is an option for an additional six-month corporate rotation in the regional offices at the end of the 12-month period. Northern California typically accepts three to five Fellows per year. Fellows rotate through the following entities:
- The Permanente Medical Group (TPMG)
- Kaiser Foundation Hospitals (KFH)
- Optional: Kaiser Permanente Regional Offices in Oakland, CA
Rotation preceptors are the Senior Vice President (Hospital) and the Medical Group Administrator (Medical Group) which allows fellows to be exposed to the highest level of leadership in the organization. The program is supported by a Regional Program Director that supports the Fellows throughout the entire fellowship.
The Northern California Administrative Fellowship program allows for learning opportunities through its rotation structure at both the professional and personal level. Most Fellows will experience a balance of project and operational work, with an emphasis on health care operations.
Examples of 2018-2019 Fellow projects:
- Partnered with front-line staff and physicians to improve throughput for low-acuity patients in the Emergency Department
- Worked with Cardiovascular Services to prepare the opening of a new Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) program
- Served as the interim Manager for the attended sleep lab
- Facilitated a Rapid Improvement Event to improve standardization of perioperative care
- Developed and executed the Care Experience Strategy for a service area
- Served as the Project Manager for the opening of a new Operating Room
Former Fellows can be found in positions throughout the entire organization, at the medical center, regional office, and national office.
Examples of positions Fellows have transitioned into post-Fellowship:
- Department Manager
- Department Director
- Senior Consultant
- Project Manager
- Executive Consultant
Current Northern California Fellows
2019-2020 NCAL Fellow
Master of Health Systems Administration,
Master of Neuroscience
2019-2020 NCAL Fellow
University of Minnesota
Master of Healthcare Administration